As some of you may have noticed, I posted a deliciously taunting picture of my Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto on my Instagram and Facebook page a few days ago. I had such a huge response from people begging me for the recipe! Well today’s the day, and I’m so excited to be able to share it with all of you!
Risotto is the perfect warming meal for this brutally cold and bone chilling winter we’ve had up here in the Toronto area. It’s become a staple in our house and one of my main go to meals! Some of you may be intimidated by risotto, and think that only “fancy” Italian chefs are capable of such a “masterpiece”, well don’t be! It’s an extremely simple recipe; it just requires a little more tender loving care! It’s a great what I call “Show off Vegan Meal” for all of those who think that vegan food tastes like bird seed…haha!
Now go on and invite your friends and family over so you can impress them with this amazing recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need!
1 ½ C boiling water
4 Tbsp tamari
6 C veggie stock
¼ C lemon juice
2 cups chopped spinach
2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 ½ C finely chopped yellow onions
4 Cups Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
1 C oyster mushrooms, sliced
4 tsp fresh thyme (leaves only)
3 Cups uncooked Arborio rice
1 ½ C dry white wine (good white wine)
3 Tbsp Earth Balance
5 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
6 tbsp fresh basil
Mushroom jus to drizzle
Black pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Bring boiling water, tamari, and veggie stock to a boil, and then let simmer.
- In e small bowl toss the spinach lemon juice, and 1 tsp salt, set aside
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat, heat 1 T of the olive oil. Add the chopped garlic and onions and cook stirring until the onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and cook until the mushrooms are soft. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and the rice, stirring constantly, cook until the rice is evenly coated and sounds like crispy rice, snapping and popping sounds, about 4 minutes. Add the wine, stirring constantly, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Ladle ¾ C of the simmering broth into the rice and cook, continuing to stir, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Continue in increments, allowing the liquid to be absorbed before another addition, until the rice is translucent around the edges but still a creamy consistency. About 25-30 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly or until the spinach is wilted and bright green. Stir the margarine and nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.
- Garnish with 1 tbsp of fresh basil, and 2 tbsp of mushroom jus for extra flavour!
- Yields 6-10 servings J
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
www.kellysxo.com 401 Brant Street, Burlington, ON Canada
www.LettuceLoveCafe.com 399 John Street, Burlington, ON Canada